Thursday, February 20, 2014

Preventing potential medical problems

Since there will be several looking for information on thru hiking I thought I would go into some detail on some important areas.  Medical issues could definitely be a big stopper for completing a thru hike.
1. Foot care, this is probably the most important area. I really like trail runners vs hiking shoes.  I running shoe I will be using is the HOKA one one Stetson one size larger for swelling feet and additional toe room. The socks are the thorlo brand, they are specifically designed for comfort and blister prevention when running or hiking.  I also use an outer sock, a womens ankle nilon.  The reason for the two sock is for friction reduction.  There are many ways to handle blisters, and the best way is to prevent them completely.  Just the fact that you are running or hiking will toughen up your feet. All of us know where our hotspots are on our feet. Personally I like using bandaid brand for blisters. They never come off you can get them wet and wear employees For a month. I have also used moleskin, duct tape etc.
So this is what I do. Put bandaid for blisters on all potential hotspots,  then put petroleum lubrication on the feet. Then the two layer sock then shoes. That's what works for me.
2. Personal hygiene,  since it will be a week to ten days between showers. Baby wipes and desitine.  Will help prevent rashes.
3. Guardia,  my doctor gave me some pills just incase, I do have and will use water purification.  When on the trail drink plenty of water stay hydrated.
4. There are ticks on the trail especially when it gets warmer. Need to do every day and take precautions about lyme disease from these guys.  Systems rash around the bite and flue like symptoms.
5. Chiggers very small biting bug. Keep waist and around feet deet sprayed.

Its always good to have first aid background in this type of environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment